As MacMurray College (1846–2020) announced its closure, the Board of Trustees established a Task Force to investigate options to continue the legacy and heritage of the College. Consisting of two members of the Trustees, two Lifetime Trustees and two leaders of the College's Alumni Board, it was determined that a non-profit organization should be formed to preserve and continue the history and legacy of MacMurray College.
In May, 2020 MacMurray Foundation & Alumni Association was incorporated as an Illinois non-profit organization and is designated by the Internal Revenue Service as a 501c(3) tax-exempt organization.
- to engage in activities compatible with the legacy of MacMurray College
- to engage Alumni of MacMurray College in ways to foster their continuing commitment to the College's legacy
- to provide support for Jacksonville based organizations that allow public access to exhibits and displays of MacMurray College memorabilia, artifacts and archives, and
- to engage in activities and fundraising to preserve the history and legacy of MacMurray College.
Activities to Fulfill Purposes of the Foundation
To carry out these purposes the Foundation has set goals for implementation as funds become available:
- Open a Museum setting in Jacksonville to display some of the archives, memorabilia and artifacts,
- Provide scholarships for students attending higher education with a focus of the recipient's connection to the legacy of MacMurray College
- Provide grants to other 501c(3) charitable organizations with a focus on those providing services that relate to MacMurray College's legacy,
- Engage alumni and friends of MacMurray College to support the work of the Foundation and assist in the continuation of MacMurray Alumni activities.
Continuing the history and legacy of MacMurray College (1846–2020), our mission is to impact lives and enhance communities through scholarships for higher education, grants to community organizations, exhibitions and displays of artifacts and memorabilia relating to MacMurray College.
In the legacy of MacMurray College, we envision recipients of MacMurray Foundation & Alumni Association programs will enrich the quality of life of individuals as well as local, regional and national organizations and communities.
Our values are embedded in MacMurray College's history and include:
- Knowledge, realizing education and learning are life-long processes
- Faith, rooted in the historical connection to the United Methodist Church
- Service, all lives are enriched through service to others and our community
- Wisdom, gleamed from the basis of a liberal arts foundation
- Duty, to self and others to always be honest and truthful
- Reverence, with humility and humbleness accept that achievements are greatest when doing good for others